24 May, 2011

Lök

I have a real appetite again, not one that is based solely on white foods like pasta, potatoes, and bread (aka, things that don't smell when you cook them.) And I am over most of my food aversions that plagued the first trimester. 
I do still have a problem with dried apricots and onions. We had pyttipanna the other day, and I spent a good chunk of dinner time picking out all the tiny little diced onion remnants--pyttipanna is basically just hash, so the dish is half onions! And the suggestion of 'vidalia' could get you punched in the mouth. 
A few weeks ago, I had to hide from myself the onions we had leftover in the cabinet...just looking at them made me feel sick. 


Yesterday, I found them again. Several had sprouted long green tendrils, like little alien life forms that were trying to bust through the bag of rice I had smooshed them behind. Whoops!
Think they are still edible? Not that *I* plan on eating them (and if Stu eats them, he might get punched in the mouth...onion breath is just as bad.) But technically edible? 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, the're edible, you just remove the part in the middle that is probably a bit soft and green. If you were going to eat them, that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the better question is: does anybody *want* my alien onions? Why waste good onions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could plant them... :-) It'd be a fun experiment!

    ReplyDelete